In the early years of the last century, tuberculosis was a widespread disease, so the local Municipality decided to build a large sanatorium in the surrounding area in 1911.
The First World War slowed down theconstruction work and the sanatorium was completed in 1924.
In 1929 a new 800-bed pavilion was built for women, and a year later
Another 1000 for children was added, for a total of over 1500 beds.
The local Municipality has since built a whole new complex on the same grounds in 2015, and this one has been left abandoned since.