Haus Der Offiziere was built in the late 1800’s under the reign of Kaiser Wilhelm II and operated until the end of the Cold War in 1994.
Before it came home to thousands of Red Army troops it was a base dating back to the 1800s, and was home to Hitlers armed forces the Wehrmacht.
Haus Der Offiziere was also known as Little Moscow because it was the heart of the Soviet Rule and the Forbidden City because East Germans were not permitted to enter the base.
At it’s peak, Haus Der Offiziere was home to about 75,000 Soviets and was the biggest military camp outside the USSR.
The Soviets stayed at the base during the Nazi operation before Hitler was defeated in 1945, for nearly 50 years before abandoning it in 1994 following the collapse of the communism.